Makeup Tips for Women Over 40
Part of the reason we started Bess & George was to make it easier for busy women to get dressed and out the door. In keeping with that theme, we are pretty low-maintenance when it comes to makeup. But, we have noticed that on the occasions we do attempt some effort, our former routines are not having the same results (e.g. we aren’t 25 any longer).
In a quest to solve this dilemma, we had the opportunity to sit down with the amazing Mandy Morrison, our beloved eyebrow and makeup artist here in Austin. She answered our questions, and we are passing along her insights in case you are having similar challenges...
- Why does my early 20's makeup routine no longer work? What is different about being in your 40’s? For starters, you are going to want to use products with moisture. I always say less is more…it’s more about enhancing your features rather than covering them up.
- What are the most important makeup tools for women in their 40's? A good set of brushes will get you a long way!
- How can I use makeup to look younger? Focus on enhancing your features instead of covering things up...you've got this!
- What is a primer, and do I really need one? Primers are wonderful, they help your makeup stay on longer and smooth out your complexion.
- What type of foundation is best for aging skin? What about concealer? Do we need both? I love a tinted moisturizer, you get the moisture you need with minimal coverage and protection. Layer that with a concealer on top (yes, concealer goes over foundation!), under eye and around the nose and you are good to go.
- What is the difference between bronzer, blush, and highlighter? Do I need all three? I love a bronzer around the perimeter of the face and down the neck, it gives you a nice sun kissed glow. Highlighter is beautiful on the brow and cheek bones, and a little blush on the apples of your cheeks for a little color. Those three things along with a swipe of mascara and lip gloss and you have a perfect "I’m not wearing any makeup" look in less than 5 minutes.
- How can I minimize my crow's feet? What about that furrow from frowning at my people? Botox. I know it’s not the answer for everyone, but it’s the most effective option. I just turned 40 and Botox has become a very close friend…I have deep "11's" between my brows (interviewer’s note: Mandy is gorgeous and has no visible wrinkles).
- What should we be doing with our eyebrows? If you live in Austin, you should be booking your brow appointments with me!! Seriously though, you should leave your brow shaping to the professionals. And a little brow pencil never hurts.
- My lashes are still long, but they seem to be getting sparse. Help! There are amazing lash fortifiers on the market now! I’ve seen wonderful results from my clients that use Revitalash and the Rodan and Fields products.
- How do I make my lips look more full? And what are those lines extending out from my lips? Lip gloss helps makes the lips look more youthful, a natural or clear shade for daytime is perfect and you can add a little color to spice it up for evening
- I had too much wine last night and I'm puffy...help! Drink water, and apply a cold sheet mask. I keep mine in the fridge. they are refreshing and it helps with puffiness!
- Do we need eye shadow primer? Eyeshadow primers are a Godsend, especially for mature lids, I like Hangover Cure from Too Faced Cosmetics.
- Can I still wear sparkly eye shadow? A little sparkle here and there is always appropriate. I like to add just a touch of sparkle to the inner corner or the lower center of the lid.
- What are some common mistakes women over 40 make with their makeup? Just overdoing it! Heavy foundation and Instagram eyeshadow are better left to the Instagram models.
- What is your number one makeup tip for women over 40? Keep it simple, less is more.
If you are lucky enough to live in Austin, go see Mandy at Sabia! For appointments call (512) 469-0447.