Surviving Summer in Style
It's 101 degrees in Austin, Texas, as I write this. We don't mess around when it comes to Summer. And, though today is the first official day of the season, we've already hit 100 more than once here in Austin. Summers here are tough. But, after years of navigating the Texas heat, we've got a few favorite products to help us survive the summer months. And fear not...we are far too small to be receiving endorsements from any of these brands...these are products we actually use and love!
B&G Favorite Summer Products
- Face Sunscreen – A must year round! Our favorites are the Elta MD Clear 46 (we both tend to be oily, especially in Summer), or the La Roche-Posay Athelios 50 Mineral Tinted if we want to even out the skin tone without makeup (it’s too hot for makeup).
- Lip Sunscreen – Many experts swear by actual lipstick as the best sun barrier, but we prefer something a bit lighter. If we need some color, the Fresh Sugar Lip line is our go-to. Otherwise, we like Sun Bum and Coola. Fair warning – wearing regular lip gloss in the sun is like putting baby oil on…and we know better than that…now.
- Body Sunscreen – Clearly sunscreen is the theme here! There’s plenty of great options…we love Sun Bum and Supergoop, but whatever you choose, use a lotion as your first layer and let it sink in. We’ve been burned (literally) too many times by just using the spray.
- Burn Relief – If you find that, despite your best efforts, you’ve gotten a sunburn, CV Skin Labs Rescue + Relief Spray is a wonder. If that’s not in the budget, plain old Aloe Vera gel is another good option.
- Hair Treatment – We usually spend summer sporting ponytails or buns (again…it’s HOT here), but the heat/sweat/chlorine can still do some damage. A leave-in treatment helps control frizz and repair damage, and the Kevin Murphy Smooth Again and Reverie Milk are amazing!
- Sunglasses – Clearly sunglasses can be a fashion statement (Jen opts for aviators, Erin prefers a rounded wayfarer), but they actually help protect against skin cancer, cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and other eye damage as well. Look for sunglasses that offer 100% UVA and UVB protection, and polarized lenses are great if you spend time on the water.
- Blotting Paper – We not only keep blotting papers in our purses, we keep them in our cars. Boscia Green Tea papers are great, but so is almost everything at the drugstore. Rather than layering on powder or makeup to cover oil, just grab a blotting paper and press it all over your face. Bye-bye shine!
- Hydrating Mist – Whether you’re looking to refresh your skin or your mood, hydrating mists offer cooling relief from the summer heat. Caudalie Beauty Elixir and Herbivore Rose Hibiscus are our two favorites. Keep in the fridge for bonus cooling.
- Sandals – Sandals are a must in summer, but finding a pair that offers some support while walking around can be a challenge…our knees and backs are not what they used to be. Jen prefers the Donald Pliner Fifi Sandal (on sale)…she walked around NYC and Chicago for days without issue. Erin’s favorite brand is Cocobelle…so many cute styles and colors!
- Insulated Wine Tumbler – Because nobody likes hot wine. Lots of products on the market…we tend to support our home team, Yeti, but there are plenty of great options for keeping your summer beverages cool and crisp.